When is the best time to eat hairy crabs?
Hairy crab season lasts through the eighth, ninth, and tenth month of the lunar new year, which is equivalent to early September to mid-December on the Gregorian calendar in 2020.
Hairy crabs are prized for their rich orange roe. It matures in female crabs by the end of September and in male species by the end of October. The female crabs are usually slightly smaller than the males and the roes are brighter in colour.
The season peaks in October which is also the best time to eat hairy crabs.
What is the best way to cook hairy crabs?
Steaming the hairy crabs is the most traditional and best method to enjoy this highly prized crustacean with furry claws.
Are there any parts of the crab that you must not eat?
You must not eat the hairy crab’s pillowy lungs, stomach, and the heart. These must be removed prior to eating.
Here’s how to cook hairy crabs at home:
How to cook hairy crabs
- 1 pair of specialized scissors
- 1 steamer / steam oven / stove
- 1 pack Dried Perilla Frutescens
- 1 splash Zhejiang or Chinkiang Black Vinegar
- 1 pot Chinese Wine and/or Ginger Tea Optional
- Wash & scrub the hairy crabs
- Place the hairy crabs' belly upward on the tray
- Distribute the dried Perilla Frutescens on the top & bottom of the hairy crabs
- Steam for 12-16 min for 3.5-4.5 tael, 16-20 min: 4.5-6 tael, 20-22 min: 6 tael & above(Tael is the size)
- Enjoy the hairy crabs meat/roe with a bit of Zhejiang/Chinkiang black vinegar
- Drink warm Chinese wine or hot ginger tea to rebalance the yin & yang of your body (optional but important)
Leave a Reply