Birthday celebrations have been a big thing to me since young. It is a meaningful and special occasion where we get together with our loved ones to celebrate life, love and good times. My family and relatives would plan and prepare a feast to celebrate one another’s birthday.
Organising and throwing a birthday party has subconsciously become my way of expressing my love for my significant other too.
Good news is, Joanne also enjoys celebrating her birthday!
I was very new in Hong Kong 2 years ago. When I was planning for Joanne’s birthday celebration for the first time, I wasn’t sure what to do so I thought of doing something simple yet meaningful where friends can get together to celebrate and have a good meal together.
I also chose to hold the party over brunch as it’s better for photo taking during the day! Heh!
Birthday Party Venue
So I did my research online and stumbled upon Alchemy Restaurant & Lounge! (Now permanently closed as of August 2017 despite their delicious modern French-style brunch).
This restaurant was gorgeous. Its beautiful interior design attracted me at first.
I also read a whole bunch of glowing reviews about their brunch menu and good service.
They used to change their brunch menu every week so it was interesting to only know what we’d get when the date was nearer.
Here we are!
Meet the Birthday Girl
Joanne is my significant other half. I love her to the moon and back, and I’m not shy to publicly declare my love for her. Haha!
This is one of the most DELICIOUS desserts, I’ve ever had in Hong Kong.
It’s a pity that Alchemy has closed down. Their brunch was fantastic with an amazing interior, cosy ambience, and service.
THE MELTING VALRHONA CHOCOLATE that everyone had.
Very grateful to have these friends in our life in Hong Kong.
This was my first year planning for Joanne’s birthday. Great times couldn’t happen without a great company. Looking back, I’m so glad I took pictures of the party while juggling with enjoying a good meal, making sure that the party went well and catching up with all our friends all at the same time. Because memories may fade as time passes, and photos are the best way of helping us to remember great times and moments.
How to plan a birthday party like this?
Here’s what I’ve done:
- Find a good venue with 80% positive reviews across different platforms. Better yet, good-looking restaurants with photogenic food!
- Set party date & time.
- Check the restaurant’s availability and reserve a table for xx pax.
- Inform the restaurant that it’s a birthday celebration and check if they provide dessert/cake, what are the charges if you’re bringing your own cake, or any corkage fees.
- Invite friends and set an RSVP deadline (Make sure that your date, time and venue address are clearly stated. Let them know if the meal is on you, or they’ll be paying for their own meal, state the price).
- If there are more/fewer friends, call the restaurant to update the reservation accordingly.
- Before the actual day, send a friendly reminder to all your friends who will be attending the celebration.
- On the actual day, remind the restaurant of the dessert/cake. Let them know when to bring out the cake/dessert for the birthday person.
- VIOLA! Enjoy yourselves and don’t forget to take pictures for keeping sake! Or hire a professional photographer in advance.
Stay tuned for my 2nd year planning for Joanne’s birthday in my next post!
Photo credit: www.eunicelim.com